Events are moments in time. Some occur once and never again; others are annual events. Groups of like-minded individuals with shared interests organize events to celebrate success or come together to create excitement for future activities in which they hope to share success.
American Alpine Club
The American Alpine Club brings climbers together, advocates for safety standards, and uses its voice to protect the environment. With Covid still making travel difficult in early 2021, Vanessa hosted a local viewing pod for the Annual Dinner, bringing some New York benefactors together. After Jonathan O’Brien prepared a feast, the AAC guests headed upstairs to watch the Annual Benefit dinner livestreamed. For more about the event click here.
The Denali Foundation provides free art supplies to underserved populations to expand the minds of young artists. Vanessa joined the host committee for this in person event at the Yale Club. For more about the event click here.
Scientific and Exploration Society (SES)
The SES is the longest-running scientific exploration organisation in the world. It provides grants to individuals leading scientific expeditions that focus on discovery, research, and conservation in remote parts of the world offering knowledge, education, and community aid. Vanessa is delighted to on the SES’s Honorary Advisory Board. For more about the SES click here.
Vanessa was a King Penguin Sponsor for the Kent Scouts’ ReQuest 2021-2022 voyage that set sail 100 years after Sir Ernest Shackleton’s ship Quest sailed to Antarctica. Each of the ten participants undertook research projects in Antarctica on issues as diverse as climate change, energy, health, and the environment.
Exactly 100 years after two Scouts sailed on Shackleton’s final Quest Expedition Kent Scout’s objectives will be: –
- VOYAGE – Participate as members of the crew on the Bark Europa on a voyage to Antarctica. (Peace, Environment, Heritage)
- PROJECTS – Undertake personal projects with each team member presenting their results. (Peace, Environment, Heritage)
- CENTENARY – Hold centenary flag ceremonies in both the UK and Antarctica (Heritage)
- PLAQUES – Unveil commemorative plaques to Scouts Marr & Mooney in England & Scotland. (Heritage)
- OUTREACH – Involve young people in a series of fun and educational outreach activities. (Peace, Environment, Heritage)
- THAMES – Host a pre-expedition PR event at Tower Bridge on Friday 17th September 2021. (Heritage)
- PLYMOUTH – Participate in the Devon and Cornwall Polar Society centenary event in Plymouth. (Heritage)
- SHACKLETON – Celebrate and pay respects to the achievements of Sir Ernest Shackleton. (Peace, Heritage)
- LINKS – Build strong links with Scouts in other countries on the original expedition route. (Peace, Heritage)
- LEGACY – Leave a lasting Scouting polar research legacy inspired by Scout Marr’s work on Krill. (Environment)
U.S. Nepal Climbers Association
U.S. Nepal Climbers Association promotes mountain tourism while protecting mountain environments, enhances safety in climbing sports, and preserves the cultural heritage of the mountainous people. Vanessa has been an Honorary Ambassador for U.S. Nepal Climbers Association for several years, strengthening ties with local partners such as the American Alpine Club and Arc’Teryx.
Highlights from last year included having New York State recognize May 29th as Mt. Everest Day. This was put forward by Assemblywoman Jenifer Rajkumar and celebrated at The Sheen Center for Thought and Culture. To learn more about USNCA click here.